Sunday, March 15, 2009

Made some Spray Starch...been making the laundry deterg

I must admit, I have been rather skeptical regarding the making of homemade laundry detergents and things such as spray starch. My aunt has been making laundry soap for quite a while and I got the recipe from her. The components sounded good....borax, oxyclean, washing soda, and grated laundry bar soap.

For some reason, due to my former skepticism, I have been a little embarrassed of the fact that I now make make and use homemade laundry detergent. Well, I have been using the homemade stuff for many months with good results. Keep in mind that I have 3 boys and a lot of stains come along with a man clan like mine.

Along these lines, a dear friend told me that she has been making spray starch. There, I supposed I would draw the line. Nothing quite like the lavender scented Niagra...it's Niagra...right? Well, you know, the aerosol cans of starch...heavy starch. I love the crispness of a starched white dress shirt. This evening as I began to process the ironing I realized that I had no spray starch in the house. The voice came to me..."use what you have. Make some". So thanks to google....I got the recipe. The shirts hang in the closet. The starch worked! Now for some lavendar essential oil to add to this recipe!!! Here's the link if you are interested! See the recipe below.

This is a great money saver and it does an excellent job.

Dissolve 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon cornstarch (depending on amount of stiffness you want) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring container. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a spray bottle.
Shake it every time you spray.
You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes.

Discared after a week or so and make a new batch. (as found on the taste of home forum)

No comments:

Blog Archive