Saturday, November 29, 2008

Repurposing Found Items

Remember, I like vintage! I like old dishes, old toys, well, my home was built in the 1950’s. Those who know me well, know to what extremes I like things older. I have always seen an intrinsic value in things of age. The wear only endears it to me. I hold sentimental attachment to items used by cooks before me. Several weeks ago, I found a canister set.

I questioned myself when I picked it up because it really is not a reflection of the colors I love, love, love, but I kept it in my shopping buggy as I went throughout the store. All the while, I was weighing whether or not I needed it. It was missing a lid. You know, I was trying to talk myself out of it. So, I carried the set up to the cashier and asked if there was a chance they would have the lid in the sorting room. It was then that she pointed out to me that the Tea canister had been burned as well.

It was then that I thought it was not meant for me…then she said, “Since it is missing a lid and it is burned, you can have the set as it is for .50.” The set had to go home with me. I supposed I would take it home and paint it red. As I have been just a little busy, I just set it up on the shelf above the kitchen sink.

While unloading the dishwasher, I was struggling to get some utensils into the crock.








Due to a shortage of drawer space, a minor flaw with homes of age, all of my cooking and prep utensils are in crocks on my counter. I reach for then over and over, it just makes sense for them to always be within reach. When they are all clean, however, the crocks were rather crowded and difficult for all of them to fit.




My mind turned to the rejected canister set. It has been
re-purposed and is now the new home of the utensils. A nice new option for only .50!!!

2 comments:

Leah Belle said...

great idea. useful and cute, too.

Sharla said...

you go girl!

Blog Archive